Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Colleen Thomas

Attached is a photo of my mom (Barbara Foster), me, and Jesse in Orem, Utah. Jesse was 1 week old at the time.

Dear Leslie,

How serendipitous to be writing this after having just heard Elder Holland’s beautiful conference talk on the value and sacrifices of mothers. I have a mother and I am a mother, and  –at least somewhat —I have experienced the deep feelings of love that come with that. Now I’m going to be a grandmother (yay!), and I find it amazing that there’s still plenty of love within me to offer to the little one who’s coming. And to those who will come in the future. I know it’s best not to try to understand how this can be, but rather to just bask in it.

You’re starting what I’m just finishing: child rearing. In some ways I’m envious, because I truly miss the intense contact and daily hubbub that having children around brings. Is it too cliché to advise you to cherish every moment with your children? Maybe so, but you could also prepare yourself for the time they are gone simply by doing your best with them. That’s something to hang on to: “I did the best I knew how.” And that will be enough.

Love,

Colleen


No comments:

Post a Comment