Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Karol Gerber Chase

Dear Leslie,
I was delighted to learn you are having a baby.  When Great Grandma Gerber (Nina) told her mother she was expecting your Grandpa Kent, Melissa said, "Your life will never be the same."  So true... it will be richer with more meaning.  It will also be poorer with lack of sleep (and maybe finances).  But oh, the memories you will have as you build your life with this little one.

Speaking of memories, the photo I am sending is one of my top-ten favorites out of thousands.  It tells of the bigger picture, the family unit, not just the mother and child.  But the advice I give has to do with just the mother and child.  I'm not sure if it is typical of LDS families, but as I was having and raising my family, I was always focused on "doing" and being so very busy.  I missed much of the sweetness of enjoying my baby because I was constantly on the run.  

My advice is to "Enjoy the Now" with your little one.  Be present in the moment.  Don't always be looking forward to when he can sit up, when he can walk...   Ironically, because of the 'busyness' of how I did things, one of the few memories I have of David (my youngest) as a baby was not minding getting up for a 2am night feeding because it was the only time I had with him that was totally undivided so I could enjoy holding him.

I send my warmest and best wishes to you and your growing family.  
Love, Aunt Karol Gerber Chase


No comments:

Post a Comment